Subject: FLASH: Making something thats close to DVD quality....
From: Imagemodels
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:13:29 GMT

Oh boy.... DVD uses an amazingly higher data transfer rate than you can get
from a CD-ROM, which is the whole reason that you tolerate a DVD in the first
place... its so much better at pulling data off the disc and onto the screen.

I'm guessing that what they're trying to do is digitize their "reel" for
distribution electronically... on a CD-ROM or online. You should probably
have a "reduced expectations" meeting with these clients if they think they
can get DVD quality on a CD-ROM. I'm doing a similar project for a web site
now, and getting TV executives to accept the limitations of web-delivered
video is not easy.

Director isnt going to be the tool that does what you need, though you might
end up making a Flash or Director movie to showcase the video when you're
done with the video portion.

Without getting into DVD too much, full-quality TV signals would mean either
29.97 (US) or 25 (PAL) frames per second, and on a computer, 640 pixels wide
by 480 pixels high. Sure, TV is a little different.. but thats the
conventional "full screen" size for video on computers. If you use 16-30 bit
color, and uncompressed stereo sound, you're looking at something like 130
megabytes for a THIRTY SECOND clip... like a TV ad. So that would be what DVD
could do... without DVD, you're going to have to compress the bejezus out of
it, and make some sacrifices.

You're going to have to pick accepting a lower frame rate, say 10 or 15
frames per second, and maybe a smaller size... 320 x 240 (half size) is
common... and compression. The Codec (compressor) you use will depend on
other comprimises youre willing to make.. if youre willing to say "bye" to
older PCs and Macs, and go for the newer faster generation, you can get
better compression. Then there's the audio... there are many options right
there. I find that I can get a 30-second clip down to 3 Mb or so and still
meet their very high expectations... and lower if you dont mind watching a
jerky, moving, postage stamp.

Look into Media Cleaner Pro, from Terran. Its one of the very best utilities
for fine tuning and compressing media from video or film to computer-ready
files.

flasher is generously supported by...