Subject: Re: FLASH: Continuous mouse click?
From: Stephen Guluk
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:33:04 GMT

on 11/24/99 1:42 PM, I wrote:

> I have a button that rotates an object when clicked
> (http://www.med-pat.com/giftel). It uses the following code:
>
> On (Release)
> Begin Tell Target ("/88")
> Go to Next Frame
> End Tell Target
> End On

I did some searching on this topic and for the sake of those (like myself)
looking for scrolling or continuous events from a button, I found the
following:

Dave Hollinden suggested this method in a post on the 19th of this month:
> The other option, inline with the question you asked, is to make the Up
> button TellTarget a controller MC to play. Make the controller MC two
> frames long. In frame 1 put your Tell Target>Text_MC>Previous Frame action,
> and in frame put a Goto frame 1. This will cause the Goto previous frame
> action to be executed repeatedly.

I tried this and could not get it to work. The controller MC when placed on
the stage/scene executed constantly.

I did find a way to achieve my goal with a button executing the animation
sequence in the OVER state. This is shown on the site currently in the
sample movie I posted (www.med-pat.com/giftel/test.htm)

But the final solution came by using the following button commands:

On (Press)
Begin Tell Target ("/controller"?
Go to Next Frame
End Tell Target
End On
On (Release)
Begin Tell Target ("/controller")
Go to and Stop (1)
End Tell Target
End On

Basically, the controller MC has 3 frames. Frame 1 only has a "Stop"
attribute. Frame 2 only has the "Play" attribute. Frame 3 does the tell
target to move ahead one frame in the target MC and concludes with "Go to
Previous Frame"

The key lies in the OnPress and OnRelease causing the controllerMC to go to
either the Play position (OnPress) or Stop position (OnRelease).

This should work for scroll bars or rotating 3D objects as I have used it
for. The reason I posted Dave's suggestion is because I may have missed
something or there may be a more elegant method to achieve the same thing
that someone may want to post.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving,

Steve Guluk
--