Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash limits.
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 01:00:10 +0100

At 6:36 AM 10/22/98, John Ardelius wrote:
> When I am authoring flash movies, the frame rate eventually decrease
> due to heavy bitmaps, sounds and so (I think). Way is that?

What you describe might plausibly be possible... even way possible.

Most pieces usually run at 7-14 fps. Here are some of the factors that can
affect this:

-- Bigger screen area = more pixels to render = fewer fps

-- The faster the machine, the more fps

-- Streaming is a processor cost too

-- Swapping to disk is a definite hit

-- The more media, the more work

-- The more shapes, the more work

-- Alpha channels are a hit

-- Changes to shapes require processing... morphs count

-- If your piece is bitmap-intensive, then Director can usually give
faster framerates... it doesn't render things as much as composite them

As you can see, there are many variables, and many ways to affect the speed.

One good rule of thumb is to compare the framerates on your pieces, to
those which you see on high-profile sites on the web -- if there's a
disparity, then you can tell that authoring choices may be more of a factor
there than hardware choices.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/