Subject: Re: FLASH: Use of JavaScript to pass a value back into Flash
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:41:31 GMT

Hi David,

> I am building a prototype for a Web site that will be a Flash front-end and
> I want to be sure that I am going to be able to pull this off and would
> appreciate any comments and feedback. In a nutshell:
> In a Flash Web site, a user answers five questions (pop-up menu) and based
> on their answers they receive a recommendation for applicable software for
> their company. I need to get those answers out of Flash, and into
> JavaScript, evaluate them and determine a value that I will pass back into
> Flash to be displayed to the user.

You could do this quite easily in Flash using either FSCommand
(JavaScript) or Movie Clips. Using Movie Clips would not limit your
audience to the FSCommand capable browsers. If the answers are multiple
choice then Movie Clips can easily keep track of the score and choices
made and make a recommendation based on those choices totally within
Flash without need to communicate with the JavaScript.

Only the following browsers are FSCommand capable:
MSIE 3+ Win 95/98/NT
Netscape 3+ Win 95/98/NT and Powere Mac

For help with FSCommand see
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Scripting