Subject: Re: FLASH: Pre Loading of Flash movies
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:28:15 GMT

At 08:12 PM 10/27/98 +0100, you wrote: hard words on me:

>Is it possible to do some preloading of flash movies.
<SNIP>
>Geoffrey Stoel
>Still new to flash, but still addicted!

Hi Geoffrey.

Actually, the default is for Flash to start streaming immediately, so your
base level movie is going to kick in unless you use an If Frame Is Loaded
routine to make it loop until a certain portion is downloaded. So, as you
suggested, the challenge is to figure out what the visitor will enjoy
seeing first and make sure that it loads efficiently (save the
bandwidth-hogging stuff for later, and have it load while the visitor is
engaged with fast-loading content).

Don't know if you also were asking about higher level movies (loaded with
Load Movie). The way to get these to preload is to have them start with an
empty frame (no graphics) with a frame action: Stop. They'll keep loading
but they won't be visible until they receive a command to move to a visible
frame.

Yes, this is an addiction, and now you need a bigger fix. Options: rob
banks or get paid for your Flash work :-) Or some combination thereof.

Good luck.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>