Subject: Re: FLASH: web hosting
From: Bill
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:01:27 +0100

At 5:36 PM -0500 10/18/99, Steve Riley wrote:
>hey, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with
>web hosts; theres a plethora of em out there now
>and was wondering if anyone could suggest one. thanks!

I have 3 domains hosted by Mindspring.com and have been with them for
3 years. I cant give then enuf accolades. From personal domains to
full featured business solutions, they have been great. 7/24 tech
support an I have NEVER waited more than 5 minutes, usually < a
minute. I started with them because I was looking for smeone who had
people who knew the Mac and its programs. That was my 1st questions.
My only concern would be their upcoming merger with Earthlink, making
them 2nd in size to AOL. I've asked specifically if their service
will remain tops. Of course they said better ;-)

Questions to ask:

Besides cost, disk space, bandwidth etc (and cost of extra space and bw)

1. Do you get CGI-Bin access, can you use your own cgis, how about ssi's
2. Do you have anonymous FTP access; can you set your own permissions
2a. Can you cutomize .htaccess files
3. Mailboxes: how many, how big?, can you do email aliasing, can you
set up pop accounts and listservs
3a. Do you have direct access to your email server (so you can clean
out mailboxes that get clogged with time)
4. Can you alias domains? (eg I have 2 domains pointing to the same disk space)
5. Access numbers of course. I live in the woods in rural Missouri,
so access was important. How about high speed access (ISDN etc)
5a. If you travel, how widespread are their access numbers
6. What kind of modems do they use?
7. Tech support must be 7/24. Try calling and see how long it takes
to get a live person
8. What sort of enterprise solutions do they have, are any turnkey?
9. FOr some it might be important what kind of servers they are
using, usu NT or UNIX (choose UNIX if you have a choice, they are up
a much higher percentage of times)
10. What are their backup and redundancy procedures
11. Can they set up credit cards for you if you are selling

Take a look at http://help.mindspring.com/webhelp/

Bill

PS: I do not work for Mindspring nor own stock in it, I just really
like them ;-)

Bill Blank
http://kernunnos.com (celtic studies and numismatics)

flasher is generously supported by...