Subject: Re: FLASH: Need drawing tips
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 06:03:35 +0100

At 08:44 PM 10/24/1999 , you wrote:
>Can someone give me any tips on drawing curves in Flash? Take a look at
><http://www.onepixel.com/DrawingFlash>http://www.onepixel.com/DrawingFlash
>
>On the first page you will see I have a pretty nice curve going on the
>bottom left side, now I want to complete the curve. Go to the next page,
>you will see I have a square symbol when I put my cursor near the line.
>blue lines are just guides to follow.

Steve,

Seems to me you're on the right path to figuring it all out.

Start with a single straight line. Drag it into a curve from the center,
then continue dragging toward one end or the other of the original line.
This teaches you how to modify a single curve to make it skew the way you
want.

Then you need to figure out where to add points in the line to create more
complex curves. Add a point by holding Control (PC) while dragging the line.

When drawing complex shapes you need to plan ahead a little -- as soon as
two lines intersect, you've added another point, so each line is now
segmented and cannot easily be pulled into a single curve (you 'd have to
modify both segments and drag the intersection point as well). So when you
drag lines out you need to do the outermost lines first, so they don't
intersect the inner lines (hope this makes sense -- a hands-on
demonstration would be much easier than a long description).

Seems to me the shape you're trying to draw might be achieved by starting
with a short vertical line and pulling it to the left, perhaps adding on
point in the center. If you get an unwanted point, you can delete a
segment, turn on Snap, and pull the two points (the end points of the
deleted segment) together.

Don't forget to zoom in as necessary, to establish better drawing control.
Also, displaying the grid with Snap enabled will help you to draw
symmetrical objects, especially if you center them in the stage using
Align. Sometimes it helps to draw components on separate layers and combine
them only when they're shaped and positioned correctly.

A digitizing tablet (such as Wacom) is a great investment if you're doing a
lot of drawing in Flash. It allows far greater precision than a mouse.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...