Subject: Re: FLASH: FLASH 99% BAD
From: Andrew Le Sage
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:02:14 GMT

True what you say but this form of web design is only at the beginning. What will happen when everyone in the western world is Broad Band, file size will not matter. It is also easier to protect you or your clients work in Flash, particularly if it is music. It is more flexible than HTML and if people are to stupid not to realise they are viewing Flash and that the browser buttons do not work the way they do it HTML I do not think I want them on my site. Most visual artists like painters that I have worked with love the zoom feature. At the end of the day the only thing really going against Flash is the file size. In the future this will not matter so much and in the mean time you can design with it in mind, you can look at the bandwidth profiler and load images before you need to show them when there is a drop in the rate of streaming. A little thought goes a long way. I feel that too often people get caught up in the tech and forget the art or visa versa, we need a nice balance. Sometimes a stunning design will not have tons of animations just one or two very small ones in the right place and time.
That is what I think.