Subject: Re: FLASH: Yarhouse
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:54:40 +0100

Hi Eriq and all,

> it's artsy and beautiful for a reason.
I know a lot of designers that aim for ugly :)

> And it takes a long time to load since the movie is intended
> to be a one piece film rather than an interactive piece.
Not quite true.
This piece was originally made for Real Video and converted to regular
Flash. It has not been optimized for Flash. Note Real Video and Flash
both stream but in Flash you need to calculate the frame that needs to
be loaded to ensure streaming at a specified Web rate (I usually aim for
20,000 bits per second). In Flash you must manually insert the
Wait-for-frame so that Flash will begin playing when the frame you
calculated has been loaded. If created or updated to Flash then you can
also include a PreLoad sequence.

> Deeps calls to Deep is one of the most fascinating and
> moving pieces I've come across in a long time.
I agree and if this was created and optimized for full screen (Flash)
then this would be a great pice of Web art. Unfortunately the small size
reduces its impact much as watching a a movie on TV compared to seeing
it at the cinema.

> Pity some can't appreciate the simplicity and "artsiness" of it.
This would indeed be a boring world if everyone saw things the same way.

> Kudos to the designer.
On this we agree totally.