Subject: Re: FLASH: Slow frame rate
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:10:19 +0100

Hi Andy,

> I have developed a Flash multimedia presentation which is to be projected
> full screen in a launching ceremony.
> I noticed that the frame rate is rather slow and jerky when viewed full
> screen, but looks good when viewed in a smaller window.
> I set the frame rate to 30fps.
Just because you set the frame rate to 30 doesn't mean Flash will be
able to play at that speed.

> Is there ANY way I can improve the frame rate, on par with say,
> a Director presentation?
> Will it help if I use a very fast Pentium 300 with lots of RAM?
> or is it something to do with the graphics card?
Only a highly optimized Flash pesentation running on a very fast
computer with the latest video drivers will play near 30 frames per
second.

Unlike Director which already has images set for raster (bitmap) display
Flashes compact vectors need to use the computer's processing power to
convert the small vector files into a Raster image.

Faster speed for Flash is likely in the future.
'Microsoft and Macromedia are now collaborating to optimize Flash output
for Microsoft's DirectX Media runtime.'
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/partners/