Subject: Re: FLASH: Slow frame rate
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 20:29:59 +0100

Hi Andy,

> >Just because you set the frame rate to 30 doesn't mean Flash will be
> >able to play at that speed.
> >Only a highly optimized Flash pesentation running on a very fast
> >computer with the latest video drivers will play near 30 frames per
> >second.
> >Unlike Director which already has images set for raster (bitmap) display
> >Flashes compact vectors need to use the computer's processing power to
> >convert the small vector files into a Raster image.
> >Faster speed for Flash is likely in the future.
> >'Microsoft and Macromedia are now collaborating to optimize Flash output
> >for Microsoft's DirectX Media runtime.'
> >http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/partners/
> I tried it on a Pentium II 300 and it worked fine, though I had to increase
> the overall length of the movie to compensate for the increased processing
> speed.
Very good save there Andy. By spreading out the effects in the areas
that required heavier computer processing you eliminated (or reduced)
the bottlenecks that were causing the jerky playback.

> By the way, would preloading the frames (ie. using the "Wait for frame"
> action) have helped?
No, Wait-for-Frame If Frame is Loaded) only allows you to test and wait
for a section of the movie to load. In local playback all of the movie
is already available and loaded so all Wait-for-frames are immediate.
The Wait-for-Frame compensates for the Web (or IntraNet) delay.
Likewise preloading objects in an earlier frame hidden from sight would
not affect the quality of the display either.