Subject: Re: FLASH: Frames per second issues:
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:23:59 +0100

At 2:32 PM 9/1/99, Jefferis wrote:
> Then why design anything at 12 fps when something might work
> better faster? 12 was a recommended setting... but why?

The framerate is the top limit at which something will play.

Flash and Shockwave are both event-based. Every frame will display. When
you set the framerate the computer will try to achieve that speed. Whether
it can or not depends on your content, and on the machine. A complex piece
may or may not actually deliver the ideal frame rate, particularly on a
slower machine.

QuickTime's different. It's time-based. QuickTime will drop frames to
*assure* you of the frame rate you set. Flash and Shockwave won't drop
frames like QuickTime will. They'll show you each frame, one after the
other, and will try to render the piece as close to the ideal framerate as
they can, on that computer.

If you set a very high framerate in Flash, then you may see it play at that
rate on some faster machines. You may see it much slower on older machines,
though. That's why most people set a framerate which they know most
machines can achieve. It helps it display similarly on a wide range of
machines.

jd