Subject: RE: FLASH: Compress Size
From: Heather Perkins
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:39:39 +0100

<BobMerrill wrote:
>I hope you are not nipping off frequencies over 11khz on music tracks.
>That's like putting cotton in your ears. Assuming the end user has a decent
>pair of speakers. I have 3 sets I use for testing. The set with the sub
>rivals my home theater except in volume level.

The "brickwall" filtering before import and ADPCM compression doesn't
sound good for all material, so I test first--but doing some pre-processing
before import and compression can make the stuff sound better when it's
shocked. At least that's been my experience.

The 22kHz and 11kHz ADPCM compression codecs in Flash3 nip off a _lot_
more than 11kHz. At least if I do the EQ before import, I have some control.
The Flash4 MP3 codecs are a _lot_ more forgiving, so I can probably put
away my torture-tools soon....but the ADPCM codec is a trade-off between
quality and file-size, and we need to keep delivering Flash3 .swfs for a while.

Our user-base varies so much in platform, system and browser it isn't
even sure some of them have a soundcard--but I try to make the audio
sound good on all systems, including crappy computer speakers, good
computer speakers, and headphones....

Believe me, I'd love to deliver 44.1k/16 bit stereo at all times. (Or
more....those DVD specs got me drooling)....but my job is to make the
Flash shockwave soundtracks as tiny as possible. Sometimes, that can
be mean making really brutal decisions before import and upon compression,
alas. If you have a different method, I would love to hear it, I'm always
looking for new ideas to try.

- HP

PS - How are developers on this list handling the Flash3 vs Flash 4
issue? (eg, the fact that millions of people have the 3 plugin, but
Flash4 is what we all want to be developing in and for?) Do you
author two versions, one 3 and one 4, and sniff visitors for plugin
versions, or ...?????

Heather Perkins
Senior Sound Designer, EGN Content Studios North
http://www.egreetings.com
http://www.teleport.com/~hperkins

Chaos, panic & disorder...
My work here is done.