Subject: Re: FLASH: What hardware should I buy?
From: KJ
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:00:24 +0100

I know this is heresy since I am not suggesting a MAC but I know PCs much
better. If you do get a MAC you will be able to get lots of support because
they all discuss all the problems they have with them on the list. (JUST
kidding)

If you get a PC I'd go with Micron or Dell. They make good machines and have
good support. Make sure they don't sell integrated audio video cards on the
board (this has become a favorite way to hit a price point) Federico I
believe would recommend not one big monitor but two. Currently this means
Win 98 as an operating system. Supposedly it is doable in NT (which I'd
recommend if you aren't squeamish about actually learning about your
computer) Not sure if it is supported in the upcoming 2000 either. Radius
had 17 in monitors in Publishing Perfection (Didn't look close at the specs)
for $329. A few hundred dollars for an extra video card and your better off
than one big one.

I'd ask for a Jaz drive too. 2GB of storage that you can actually work on.
And gives you alot more transferrability. I have a Yamaha 4416 CD
Rewritable. Seems to do the trick. Smart and Friendly have screaming drives
(you'll pay for it) if you need to make alot of CDs that will be cost
effective. Soundblaster Live card is the way to go right now. Monsoon makes
killer speakers (made by Eminent Technology) They have a low end model and
another (not sure the name they slap on them) that go for about $800 that
are supposed to be the end all and be all. I have the Microsoft Sound System
If you can find it on sale and with a rebate I don't think you will be able
to beat them for the money. Mike and board are something that Marc Hoffman
is the expert on and Video Cards change on a weekly basis it seems. TNT and
Viper seem to be the new darlings. Also not up to speed on video. When you
get it and want to play with the toys call us all though I'm sure many of us
would love to have the toys at our disposal.

Kevin Jackon
kjacksonattriskelian [dot] com

If cost is no object, I like SCSI. Realize that this will add on to your
costs. SGI's new machines are also high but supposed to be excellent.