Subject: Re: FLASH: What hardware should I buy?
From: KJ
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:59:02 +0100

Russ said

No offense to anyone, but as a person who's been an instructor...I'd
probably
give that excuse, as well, if I couldn't find the answer. However, on my NT
3/SP 4 P2/233 96 Megs RAM at home...well, I have no problems at all.

>"Tinker-lewis, Gina" wrote:
>
>> I took a 3 day Flash course last month and some of the NT machines
crashed
>> when choosing certain fonts throughout the course (couldn't really figure
>> out which fonts it didn't like). The instructor said he didn't recommend
>> using NT with Flash for that reason. Not sure how Win 95 works with
Flash.
>> Mac G4's don't ship until October I think.

Had to respond, as an instructor I wouldn't say that it was the OS. (I go
out of my way to not guess or give bad information) This problem was most
likely caused by ATM since this is a fairly common problem that is on the
Adobe side NOT Microsofts. It occurs when using Type 1 fonts and has been
posted here (At least it was with Flash 3) But then it is so much easier to
bash Microsoft with absolutely no information. You'd hardly ever get called
on it.

If you view the posts on this list you'd see that the vast majority of
problems are not on the Intel platform. I'm not sure that proves anything
but if you wanted to go with anecdotal evidence rather than deciding on the
facts, it would seem to indicate that there is a platform likely to have
problems and it isn't from Redmond. Of course that is the danger of posting
on opinion rather than fact.

Kevin Jackson
kjacksonattriskelian [dot] com