Subject: Re: FLASH: Posted without permission
From: Sienna
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 01:48:43 +0100

Guess I have to come out of the woodwork and comment on this. I just
spent the past 6 months using Flash on 2 radio stations because that's what
they wanted. Now they have changed their minds and I am having to redo the
entire sites. Starting from scratch.

If any of you are involved in creating radio sites, you may want to
consider reading articles posted in a magazine called e radio magazine.

They take sites and critizize them for download times, plugins, etc. Sad
to say, I have read the magazine which was given to me by one of the radio
stations I'm doing and I agree with the arguments about flash, graphics and
marketing. I'm not a happy camper about having to redo these sites at
all. They also discovered the same feedback about Flash. The intros are
boring after you see them all the time. Kind of like a rerun of a tv show.
So, how can flash be used if not for animations?

I'm really starting to worry about the marketing capability of my news
channel account. They want the entire site flashed and yet they want to go
up against CNN? I fear the same types of comments posted on this message
will also hold true for their site. People are tired of Flash. I hear it
over and over and over again how tired people are of Flash. As a web
designer, that hurts! I'm tired of seeing static webpages that have no
interaction in them, but when it comes to marketing, people with static
pages get more hits, more dollars in sales and more media coverage than a
flash site. We just talked to Macromedia about the software needed for
this site, and the company is going to be shelling out more than $3,000 to
macromedia in the next 2 weeks and I'm worried sick over all the shockwave
for a news channel. How do I tell a client they may be making a very big
marketing mistake?

Even the eye4u site has grown old. I always skip the intro to see the new
stuff. *sigh* I don't want to give up the effects of flash but I also
don't want ppl to stop going to a site because they are tired of seeing flash.

At 11:24 PM 9/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Names expunged to protect the innocent, but just read some comments on Go
>Live list that I thought might be worthy of our consideration:
>

>>I am very sick of lengthy Flash intros.
>>But when it is used well for a purpose. They are the best.
>>Off hand I am thinking of a Hoover site, VWbeetle, and Puerto Rico intro
>>(yes I said intro).
>>But this is getting off topic...
>>-charlene

>>>requirement.
>>>
>>>I recently visited 10 skateboarding sites, which all was built using Flash.
>>>The first two was fun, but then I got very tired of the often similar
>>>effects. I got tired of all the waiting, because some pages were really
>>>heavy, up to 215k or something.
>>>
>>>The sites all looked terrific, but what is the future for Flash? Am I the
>>>only one who already are a little tired of Flash sites? Or maybe it will be
>>>be better when those using Flash think more about downloading time?
>>>
>>>But using Flash to create a Drop Down Meny will not make a big file I
guess=