Subject: RE: FLASH: Posted without permission
From: Lee Hunter
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:37:14 +0100

Whenever anyone talks about the web there seems to be an assumption that
every site should be a site that people return to again and again and that
if they don't return again and again the site is automatically a failure.

My company's site is a brochure - and I don't expect anyone to come back to
it more than twice. After the first time I hope that they'll be so darn
impressed that they think about it all day, dream about it at night and then
come back the next day. At which time they'll send me an email begging to
use my company's services. Or something to that effect. A brochure site is
where you really need Flash - when you have one or two shots to burn an
image into someone's cerebral cortex. Take them on a journey, mess with
their minds, engage, enrage, or just amuse. Stuff that's hard to do with
html and javascript and easy with Flash.

I certainly don't expect people to return to my site every day for the rest
of their lives. Once you've seen all my goofy Flash stuff there's really no
reason to go back and that's fine with me.

On the other hand if I'm doing a content-rich site - i.e. one that provides
an ongoing stream of information like news, stocks, mp3's, software
downloads etc - I don't use Flash for anything more than a tiny part of the
interface. If that.

Regards
Lee Hunter
www.hum.com