Subject: FLASH: (OT) e radio magazine and Macromedia
From: Sienna
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:14:22 +0100

e radio magazine

The big debate: To stream or not to stream

That's the issue I have right now and am going to subscribe to it so I
don't run into any more sites that have to be re created. It's $29.99
/year (6 issues)

ATTN: Circualation Department - C1
Streamline Publishing, Inc.
224 Datura Street, Suite 701
West Palm Beach, FL 33401-9886

Actually, the convention going on in October at the Santa Clara Convention
Center would have been a great convention for Macromedia to speak on. I
think every major company BUT Macromedia is going to be there and you would
think they would want to jump in on the webcasting (internet radio and
television broadcasting) marketing potential. This is the direction our
company has taken towards webcasting and we have backers for a new
broadcast.com however our site is also geared towards Flash and I would
hate to think that's a mistake. Our site promotes Macromdia all the way
through it and even Microsoft can't figure out why we have set up
broadcasting the way we do. Well, perhaps because we are now the only
trully LIVE radio stations in some countries and I also believe there is a
place for Flash in webcasting. e radio mentions nothing of Macromedia
which is very disappointing considering Microsoft's new Windows Media
Player is demo'd with Flash 4 and is far beyond any Flash site I have ever
seen. I'm so jealous of that demo that I can't stand to think of the
tedious hours of learning Flash that way ahead of me. I'm in awe of what
Microsoft and Macromedia have done and yet they are not being mentioned in
broadcasting's future that I have seen.

We are trying to find ways to incorporate all of Macromedia's products into
the most interactive site possible now that Flash and Windows Media Player
work hand in hand without crashing each other. Actually, the television
station we are working on is going to be the pilot site for a totally
interactive (and live streaming 24/7 of video) I may be totally in left
field but I imagine our broadcast site to be 100% Macromedia made (except
for the media player because Macromedia doesnt have one 'YET') This is my
personal goal and I'd like to think Macromedia and their products are not
just a fad that will fade out in time. I"m staking my entire career and
reputation on them being around for a very very long time.

I think I will be fired if this company purchases one of everything
Macromedia has, only to find out the sites are not marketable because of
plug-ins, load time, etc.. I sold this station on Macromedia, demo'd the
products and everything we want to do with the site can be done with what
MM has to offer. All I have to do is somehow figure out a way to make the
site load fast. (not to mention, learn the software products in the next
year) *sigh*

I wish there was one standard in web design then we wouldnt have to make so
many different versions of the same site just to please everyone and their
uncles.

My opinion on Flash sites is this: I'm willing to risk everything of my
career to set up my broadcast site with MM's software. I will tweak my
sites to load fast. Reduce the intro's to no more than 10 seconds, and
continue to find ways to make Flash acceptable. If I fail... it is my
failure to make. If I succeed, maybe Yahoo will buy me out.. LOL!