Subject: Re: FLASH: Posted without permission
From: Michael Penne
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:32:13 +0100

--- Sienna <siennaatfiamg [dot] net> wrote:

> So, how can flash be used if not for animations?

Great for interface and interactivity:
for instance did this site over the summer, replaced a
mostly static site with a flash site that clients find
much faster and easier to navigate:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~ac

> I'm really starting to worry about the marketing
> capability of my news
> channel account. They want the entire site flashed
> and yet they want to go
> up against CNN?

My biggest worry about banking too much on Flash comes
from being dependent on Macromedia's players. What
they did with merging the Shockwave/F4 player (and the
idiotic shockmachine stuff), and making it the defualt
download, exactly what I hated about Real (G2) and one
big thing I loved about Flash 4 (400kb player
download). Now that theyhave gone and 'improved' the
player into bloatware, AND THAT THEY DID SO WITHOUT
ANY WARNING/CONSULTATION to us developers, was very
upsetting. After demoing several sites and how easy it
was to load the (old f4)player, 1 week after we went
'live' began receiving numerous complaints about
having to wait hours to download and install the F4
player, and subsequent comnplaints about shockmachine.
MACR took what was a nearly invisible process
(upgrading) and made it very intrusive. O well, I'm
still excited about using the power of action script,
etc. to increase interactivity, however, I'd recommend
checking out Livestage(QT vector animation and
scripting: http://www.totallyhip.com) and SMIL(G2
scripting: http://www.w3.org/) in case MACR has any
more nasty surprises up their sleave...

PS I also feel that both G2 and QT4 have some serious
problems with bloat and interface, however, it _used_
to be that Flash was a much more download friendly,
unobtrusive plug-in. With the recent 'improvements',
all three are about equally painful to ask a client to
swallow, and so it becomes a matter of best
functionality. For your client, I would suggest really
looking into QT 4 and livestage instead of flash, much
better handling of sound (Q-design) and of course
video, and decent vector and scrpting support as well.
Check out the QT tv section of
http://www.apple.com/quicktime for entire interfaces
built in QT (FOX Sports, HBO, etc...)

> For info on digest mode send: info flasher to
> list-manageratchinwag [dot] com

=====
2D/3D/Flash/etc...

http://www.humboldt.edu/~mmp5