Subject: Re: FLASH: Copyrights
From: Roger Heath
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:55:31 +0100

msg status: reply from heathatrleeheath [dot] com (Roger Heath)
author: by John Croteau <croteauaterols [dot] com>
composed: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:15:25 -0400 it was stated:

>Hi M,
>
>> My understanding is that the new image must be different by 40 % from the
>> item you are resembling. Let's say it's Mickey. It needs to look 40%
>> different from his published character.
>
>To have copyright for an image or text the work must be original. How
>original? There is no defined percent of similarity that is set in law
>to determine if something is original. Anything modified from something
>copyrighted is called derivative and you would have joint copyright on
>that derivative assuming you had permission to do the derivative work.

Having more than 30 patents and been involved in intellectual property
issues for a number of years, I would say you are correct. It must be
completely original. There is no preset standard of 40%, legal or
otherwise. Any use of any copyrighted material is a potential violation
of rights.

Mickey is also a trademark. Under the Landham Act any resemblance, no
matter how remote, that would be the cause of confusion would be a
potential violation of that Act.

--
bcnu
www.rleeheath.com

advanced internet services and software technology
advanced concepts in emergency medical technology