Subject: Re: FLASH: how to select all of the instances on a layer?
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:04:05 +0100

At 12:34 PM 9/28/99 , you wrote:
> >I want to move an object on a layer which has several motion tweens. So I'm
> >trying to select all of the instances of this object on this *one* layer.
> >I simply want to move this object to a different location in my movie.
> >
> >Tell me, how do you select *all* of the instances in several different
> >frames of an object? IOW, in which window? First I tried in the timeline,
> >just by clicking one of the frames and then holding shift while I click the
> >end frame which selects all of the frames in between. But that was
> >selecting the *frames* and not the *objects* that were in the frames.
> >
> >Thanks for someone's help...
> >Carla

Carla,

If you mean moving the tween of the object to a different part of the
stage, here's how:
Lock all but the layer with the tween you're moving. Make its layer active.
Use Edit Multiple Frames (one of the little icons that looks like a stack
of 3 papers). Notice the little markers at the top of the timeline, one to
either side of the playback head indicator. Adjust these so that they span
the tweened frames. Then use Select All. This will select all the affected
graphics in the frames selected by the little markers. Now you can use the
arrow keys or the select tool to move them all at once.

If you mean moving the tween(s) to a different place on the timeline, you
were doing it correctly. Select all affected frames. Use Copy Frames
(ctrl-alt-C on PC). Then create and highlight an equal number of target
frames elsewhere in the timeline. Use Paste Frames (ctrl-alt-V on PC). Then
go back, re-highlight the original frames, and Remove Keyframes (shift-F6)
to clear them out. If there are now unwanted objects in the first frames
(the ones you cleared the keyframes from), you may need to insert a blank
keyframe (F7) to get rid of them.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)