Subject: Re: FLASH: Chunky file size!
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:31:21 +0100

At 1:24 AM 9/29/0, Tim Ryan wrote:
>There are about 20 layers but they are not interactive...they are just a
>series of small movies which all play at the same time to create a
>virtual environment full of animated animals and whatnot! Is there some way
>that i can merge all the layers together so that its just one whole movie
>instead of leaving them seperate??? Im not sure if ive made myself clear but
>if anyone understands this please could you help as it isvery urgent.

Hmm, I'm not sure I can accurately visualize the project there, but maybe
this general information will help: the largest contributor to the filesize
of a SWF is usually the number of separate media elements which are
described... each vector shape, each sound, each bitmap must be described
in the file. After it's described a media element can be reused
indefinitely.

This is why symbols are so useful: you can describe something once, and use
it many many times.

It's possible to make a complex design with very low media costs, by
reusing, rotating and resizing, retinting and coloring a very small number
of vector symbols. It's also possible to make a simple scene which has a
large filesize if there are many, many separate media descriptions to make
up this one scene.

More info about SWF file tips is available in the Macromedia Flash
Technotes with keyword "swf". But does the above general background help in
that project in any way...?

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list