Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: marketing spam
From: tristan
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:09:18 +0100

Comment from an ISP,

Hi Steve - all.

I totally agree with this premise about the economics of it meaning its
difficult to stop at source. Because we are a dedicated hosting company
that supports email services rather than an access company that can easily
block forwarding et all from non client users we have/ had the problem that
many of these 'products' list our mail servers as a relay. In order to
survive we HAD to develop a system to eliminate them.

Some half a million spams a day are directed at us, so we developed a
system that filters mail and destroys them.We estimate that we junk over
90% of them.

It can be done - its just tough. The downside is though that the rest of
our legitimate users suffer delays of up to 20 minutes when sending /
recieving mail through us. In the past we would bounce mail straight
through.

So my premise is that SPAM also effects the efficiency of the very system
that the Spammer relies on, and ultimately if the volume continues to
increase at the current rate all (most) mail servers will need to filter in
this way so eventually the system may become useless to all, or worse
slower than conventional mail.

<g> I wish I didn't care about old fashioned net usage morals, because if I
didnt then you would be recieving tons of SPAM urging you to send me
money....</g>

Everyone needs to help find another way to mass advertise or one day it wil
just clog.

Best regards all

Tristan Palmer

--
Tristan Palmer
tristanatcorpex [dot] com Corpex Limited