Subject: RE: UKNM: Incorrect Use of Client Reference Sites
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:10:33 +0100

Kirstie, although I cannot speak for everyone, I have a feeling that this is a
widespread problem. We had a similar case whereby on turning up at a sales
meeting and going through our portfolio, the prospective client said "Oh, you
must know XXX, because his company worked on that site too."

Bemused, I asked him what he meant (because we had produced the site from
scratch, and no other agency had ever worked on it), and he produced the
portfolio from the other agency which included some lovely screenshots of one
of our sites. Upon choking with surprise, the prospective client called this
agency to ask what was going on. The agency said it was a genuine mistake, and
that they had done some pitch work for our client. Somehow they had printed out
the 'wrong' screenshots. It wouldn't have been so bad, but the prospective
client said they had almost dismissed the agency on the basis that their
portfolio was not very good, with the exception of the screens from the site we
produced! Just think - if I hadn't been there, the other agency might have got
work based solely on the quality of the work we had produced.

Fortunately I was there, and we have had a long standing relationship with the
new client ever since.

There are lots of examples of several agencies pointing to the home page of a
company and listing them as a client without explaining what they did for them.
Often they produced a sub-section of a site, a game/screen-saver/banner, or old
work which isn't even there any more. In this case they should, in my opinion,
only link to the bits that they did, or relegate the name of the client to a
non-linked list of past clients. Naming names is definitely a subject for
conversation at a future UKNM get together! The only way to counter this that I
can think of is to ask your client for a name-check at the bottom of their home
page. Not all will do this of course. Failing that, you need to keep on the
boil and seek out agencies who are effectively passing off your work as theirs
and ask/order them to stop doing it. Using a search engine that can list links

to your client's home page is one option, but it can be a laborious task.

The thing that annoys me the most is the practice of using the names of the
major agencies in the meta tags of a home page to suck in people who are
searching for that agency. We fall foul of this in several places, as do many
other agencies - try it and see! I'm not sure if this is illegal, but perhaps
it comes under miss-use of a trademark? If it does, I can feel a conversation
with a solicitor coming on. Does anyone else know for sure?

Regards

Robin
--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx Design Limited

On Tuesday, March 31, 1998 6:03 PM, Kirstie Hill
[SMTP:kirstie [dot] hillatissolutions [dot] co [dot] uk] wrote:
> Just wanted to check with you guys to see if you'd experienced the same.
>
> We have recently found a number of web development companies who have
> been listing reference sites within the clients sections of their web
> sites, but actually not having done any work for them at all.

<snip>