Subject: Re: UKNM: Tesco's token effort
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 11:24:24 +0100

Neil Morgan wrote:

> Ray,
>
> You wrote about Tesco's token effort at online sales ...
>
> ".. despite promises of huge investment by the big two, online
> grocery sales are not likely to inspire anyone, and particularly not the
> customers. Unless of course the 'customers' are restricted to young
singles
> / professionals who can't be bothered to go shopping (as opposed to the
real
> customers of grocery stores - the housewives, or whatever the PC term is
for
> people who control family finances these days)"
>
> Are you saying that 'young singles/professionals who cannot be bothered to
> go shopping' are not a legitimate target market? I thought they were a

but we tend to spend a lot LOT less in supermarkets than the
married+2.4kids combo, because despite, or rather because of, our
relatively much higher disposable incomes, as well as having fewer
mouths to feed, we tend to eat out a lot more.

> large part of the existing web market. When the other 11 million UK
adults
> come on-line perhaps Terry will target the housewives.

and be way too late, like everyone else who rejected a particular
demographic because 'only geeks|students|londoners|rich
people|men|children|everyones-customers-but-my-own' use the web.

stefan

--
/** Stefan Magdalinski, computin
info: http://www.isness.org/house/boat/sig.txt **/

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com