Subject: Re: UKNM:e-business was Dot Com Fever
From: Duncan Clubb
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:14:42 +0100

I think all this stuff about e-businesses is missing the point
somewhat. The media used by a business is not important, it's only what
they do with it that matters. Banks did not re-invent themselves as
t-businesses when they started offering phone services, they just
bleated on about the service itself. Throughout history, businesses
have grabbed all new technologies as they arrived and tried to use them
for competitive advantage. This is all that's happening now. There are
very few *real* e-businesses, by which I mean the ones that could NOT
exist without the net, most e-businesses are just new forms of some
other type of retailer, bucket-shop, intermediary, etc.
Although it may not be a popular opinion on this list, I still maintain
that 'the medium is the message' is a dangerously misguided statement
(and wrong to boot) but one that seems to have woven itself into the
collective unconsciousness. I believe that the quote in the masthead of
June's US wired (I think from McLuhan) is just as bad:
*Societies have always been shaped more by the nature of the media with
which men communicate than by the content of the communication*
Is it me, or is that not total pants? When leading and opinion-forming
publications (even if you don't like wired) are espousing such
attitudes, is it surprising that so many get caught up in the hype about
our beloved new media, forgetting where the real priorities are?
ttfn
Duncan Clubb.

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com