Subject: Re: UKNM: Archbishop of Canterbury talking out of his arse dot com
From: Tim.Hayward
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:07:43 +0100

You just brilliantly preempted a blistering flame, Neil.

I have absolutely no sympathy for parsons of any denomination but I have to
admit a sneaking admiration for what this one was saying. I know there are a
lot
of people in this business who are working themselves into the ground for
little
or no money at the moment but they're doing it for one of three reasons...

a) They think they're going to get rich by cashing out for millions in short
order
b) They think they're going to build a business built on answering a real
consumer need, that's going to grow gently, strengthen organically and
become
moderately profitable in the medium to long term
c) They are stupid

Let's assume that anyone bright enough to be on UKNM is unlikely to be a c)
Let's assume that anyone who's been exposed to any media in the last month
realises that a) is statistically a worse bet than scratchcards as a
credible
method of revenue generation.

So we're all b)s....

Not very sexy, is it? Not very 'New Economy'.

That's the kind of business plan my Grandfather could have written in about
1920.

Hardly suprising, really, that an aging God-botherer in a frock managed to
get
the message when an entire generation of snake-hipped young 'entrepreneurs'
missed the sodding point.

Which is - if I might paraphrase the prelate - where the fuck do we think we
get
off, thinking we can make stupid amounts of money for fuck all?

I just can't wait till he does the one about chucking money lenders out of
the
temple to an audience of VCs. It's enough to make you want to go to church.

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com