Subject: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:36:39 +0100

Portals? By which you mean search engines, directories, indexes, etc, etc.

Portals are about wrapping second hand content around one or two bits of
newish information.

We are about to see (in the UK) an explosion of original content generation
that will make the "portals" look silly. The smart money will be placed with
high-value original content, business and entertainment, niche and
mass-market.

Leaders in 1999 are likely to be Beeb, TescoNet, ft.com, Reed Business
Information (high-price niche industy info products), gameszone, and a few
others.

This constant recycling of information that has characterised the early
years of the Web will not survive 1999.

Good luck to NetNames for making the most of good PR opportunities. But I
think David is right. The days of the portal are numbered.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan London