Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Aidan Cook
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:11:29 +0100

> and it doesn't help when everyone starts calling their sites portals. As I
> understand it, a portal site is trying to do everything - directories,
> searching, email, chat, forums, entertainment, news, weather, homepages,
> ads, pagers, personalisation, shopping, and whatever else

erm, aren't these called 'bookmarks'?

Unless a 'pxxxxl' (i can't bring myself to write it) provides information
which is unobtainable elsewhere, then I'll just edit my own list of
bookmarks - and if the site provides that sort of information, then I'll
go there without having to be lured by a list of links.

something like www.iii.co.uk is an excellent example of a what I think a
portal (damn, wrote it) might/should be, but I am more than willing to get
lynched for my opinions by those of you who have better ones. Portals
targeted at specific interest-groups are always going to batter the more
general "here's some stuff on the internet" options.

Actually, if that content could be provided to those groups by some
form of technology 'pushing' the informa.......oooops, sorry, last year's
word.

reg's

Aidan

Sense Internet Ltd, www.sensei.co.uk
Tel: +44 113 293 7373 Fax: +44 113 293 7374