Subject: Re: UKNM: old chestnuts: upfront registration
From: Duncan Clubb
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:34:16 +0100

Cait

It is NOT possible to *register* users at a site without their knowledge. The
absolute most that can be done is tracking with cookies, but cookies cannot
extract information that they did not place there themselves. Thus, unless
you specifically ask a user for personal details, the most you can ever tell
about them is the ip address and host name of their machine, and even then,
you are most likely to pick up the proxy server/firewall/ISP that they go
through.

aye
duncan

--
Duncan Clubb

e-mail: duncan [dot] clubbatoffworld [dot] net Offworld Industries,
http: www.offworld.net Britannia House,
Tel: (44)(0)171 278 3464 4-24 Britannia Street,
FAX: (44)(0)171 278 5820 London WC1X 9JD