Subject: Re: UKNM: old chestnuts: upfront registration
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:34:08 +0100

> It's called common sense, Clay. (I don't have statistics to back it up, but
> I think I can say with a high level of confidence that a 'great majority' of
> people will be unwilling to have their home phone number scrawled on a
> toilet wall - or be poked in the eye with a burnt stick.)

I have no doubt that you believe every word you say, but I also have
no doubt that you have no idea what you are talking about, because
user behavior is far too vast a space for your common sense to make
much of a dent. Stef specifically asked for something more than
vaporous guesses from people who hadn't done any research, but you
seem not to have read that far into his post.

> You're absolutely right, Clay. By not searching for someone else's opinion
> and instead voicing my own I have revealed myself to be a completely lazy
> sod and of little value to an open discussion.

Right.

Stef wasn't asking for opinions, he was asking for documentation of
observed behavior. Your opinions about copywriting, or the business
climate in the UK, or what life is like at designercity are all areas
where your opinion has real and direct relevance, but since you not
only haven't done any homework concerning user behavior but have also
voiced nothing but contempt for those who have, you are correct in
noting that you have provided little of value to an open discussion.

-clay