Subject: Re: UKNM: old chestnuts: upfront registration
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:33:21 +0100

I originally said:
> > I'd like to barrel in on this topic by saying that I do not trust 'stats' in
> > the first place (see: lies, damn lies and statistics).
> >
> > That said, the great majority of Internet users are after anything they can
> > get for free - they also like to feel anonymous whenever possible.

Clay Shirky countered:
> According to whom? To you? You started this post by saying you don't
> trust stats, but if you don't trust stats, where are you getting this
> figure about 'the great majority'?

It's called common sense, Clay. (I don't have statistics to back it up, but
I think I can say with a high level of confidence that a 'great majority' of
people will be unwilling to have their home phone number scrawled on a
toilet wall - or be poked in the eye with a burnt stick.)

Clay Shirky also said:
> Three people have replied to stef's question, and two of those
> why not finish the job and be too lazy to hit the 'Reply' button as
> well.

You're absolutely right, Clay. By not searching for someone else's opinion
and instead voicing my own I have revealed myself to be a completely lazy
sod and of little value to an open discussion.

��

Tim Ireland
Senior Copywriter
DESIGNERCITY LIMITED