Subject: UKNM: trying to type WAP sites into my phone?
From: Wallace, Darren
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:33:26 +0100

Hi all

Slightly off-topic but whilst there's a thread on the potential
proliferation of WAP phones in the UK, maybe someone out there can help me.

<impending rant alert>

I bought a Motorola Timeport P7389 a few weeks ago, and my provider is
Cellnet (Genie). FYI, I initially chose this model, as it appeared to be the
only Tri Band WAP phone on the market.

As you may know, this comes with pre-loaded WAP bookmarks. (Genie of course,
plus BBC, Excite, plus some others) That's fine: always nice to have some
preloaded bookmarks - it's like the first time you went on the Web.
But here's the problem. I have yet to work out how to type new wap addresses
onto my phone.
I asked BT about this, and they said 'speak to Motorola'.
There is a Motorola site for WAP users - www.timeport.com, which you can
register with, and edit the existing bookmarks. But *nowhere* does it tell
you how to type new addresses in. Before you ask, I've also RTFM, but that
didn't help either.
Called Motorola tech support last Thursday. They couldn't answer my question
(?!), said that someone would call me back on Monday (!)
By Tuesday, no-one had called me. I called them again. I was told that most
of tech support 'were on holiday', and that my call back was logged, but
couldn't guarantee when it would happen.

Started getting arsey with customer support, also pointing out that we (ie
Virgin Radio) had been involved in WAP development trials with Motorola, and
that this just wasn't good enough. After being put on hold again, I was told
that my complaint had been sent to 'head office' and that someone would
definitley call me back before Tuesday lunchtime.

Guess what. It's alomst 7PM Wednesday, and noone's called back.

What the bloody hell is going on?! Surely this should be a question that
takes no more than 30 seconds to answer. I'm not asking for them to explain
the theory of relativity or anything, so why is it so bloody difficult to

A. Get them to call me back
B. Get the answer to my question?

I'm not exaclty a luddite (i've been online for almost 6 years). So if it's
this frustrating for me, is it any wonder that the UK population as a whole
hasn't exactly been rushing to take up this technology.

I've also heard rumblings about BT allegedly disabling the 'add new sites'
feature to this phone, although I'm not 100% sure about this - however,
might this be the cause?

Can anyone out there help me?

<rant over>

Ahhh. Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Cheers,

D.

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036