From: John Handelaar
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:11:58 +0100

Agreed - everyone go look.

> He says fulfillment is far more important than "marketing tricks". Okay -
> but cannot have one without the other.

It was at this point that I started to feel you weren't really
following what Nielsen's saying. "Marketing tricks" *are* bullshit.
He gives examples of things like asking people to uncheck tick
boxes, screwing around with the wording in order to double-negative
people into accepting junk mail, and resetting options in
forms when users make a single mistake.

Paraphrasing this section: This crap is bad *for you*, not just
your users, because everyone who didn't want junk mail who you
send your crap to will think progressively worse of you, every
time you do it. Meanwhile even things like 'opt-out' boxes
cause users to think ill of you because either (a) you trick them
into getting junk mail, or (b) they notice that you've tried
to do so, and that pisses them off.

What he missed out (being where he is) is the additional danger
of threatened legislation to ban opt-out collections and the
use of addresses collected in that way. If your email marketing
is important to you, it's probably best not to engage in
practices which might force you to dump your whole list and
start again.

In any case, I'd rather have 1,000 "Really want it" members of
an annoucement list than 20,000 "most didn't uncheck the box"
any day - *because it would work better*.

> I liked the apologia for accidental spam. There was a thread here
> regarding
> getting off LastMinute recently. Read him for further reason not
> to jump to
> conclusions and label legitimate email as spam just because you fail to
> unsub.

Again, why that would be incorrect is that our recent thread
about lastminute (and Ministry, IIRC) was that people were unable
to get out of the spam cycle.

If you read the Nielsen piece again, you'll see about 5 club-you-
over-the-head references to putting unsubscribe information on
every message you send (he says in the footer; I reckon you should
put it in the _header_). That, and make damned sure it works!

I don't mean to tick you off </lie> but if anyone thinks that
good marketing, on- or offline, involves causing members of
the public to associate your brand with really irritating junk
mail, it's time to find a new career.

And I don't want to hear about proportions as a lame-arse excuse
either (eg: "Fewer than 10% of our 10m messages were unsolicited
so that means we're 90% OK"). Every fucked-off customer is
another bucketload of cash flushed down the bog in the long run.

jh

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494 M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657 E johnatuserfrenzy [dot] com

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036