From: Sam Michel
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:12:07 +0100

At 14:04 21/08/00 +0100, Alberts, Rob wrote:
>Salient points at:
>http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000820.html
>
>He says fulfillment is far more important than "marketing tricks". Okay -
>but cannot have one without the other.

Interesting stuff, definitely agree on the speed of response, but in
reality it's no different from the pressures of delivering a website
speedily, except it's usually a lot cheaper.

>and as for discussion groups:
>"Unfortunately, moderation is a good deal of work: a rent-a-moderator
>service might be a good business idea, locating the moderators in
low-salary
>countries." Okay there's a joke here for moderators, but doesn't he ignore
>the fact that there are linguistic barriers to outsourcing. Ay carumba.

I hate to disagree with the godfather of usability, but this is cobblers.
I'm rapidly going off the term moderation, because it sounds too draconian.
To my mind a list host should be an email gardener, tending his or her
patch, providing fertiliser when necessary, doing a spot of weeding, but
making sure the garden grows. Lists are organic beasts and it takes an
awareness of the people involved in the list (both those contributing and
those lurking) as well as a strong grasp of the subject area to be able to
fulfill this role.

The idea of parachuting in some guy in a warehouse on the other side of the
world to moderate a discussion mailing list or a bulletin board is just
nuts. He's not wrong that it can be a lot of work, but also misses some of
the intracacies of the inter-relationships between members of a discussion
list. Flame wars can erupt and ruin lists, but more often than not, the
members of the list settle the situation with minimal interference from a
host. It's about people, not about technology or interfaces.

That's why discussion lists are vibrant and popular activities. They're not
the easiest to use although I'd argue pound for pound of information
delivered, they're better value than most of the time I spend surfing.

>Ultimately, he just predicts the death of lists and email marketing. So:
eek
>or ech???

I don't think so. There's certainly a strong case for decent software
that'll handle the cross-over between a discussion board and a mailing
list. If anyone's found a solution for this that works well, I'd love to
hear about it. It comes down to the whole push-pull scenario. There's very,
very few websites I check every day, but I check my email every hour or so.
I'd hazard a guess that the usability of your average email is better than
the usability of the average website. Maybe.

Consumers will undoubtedly become a lot more picky about what email
marketing they allow permission for, and spam filters will continue to get
better, but that reflects more on the marketing community than the method
of transmission. Good email marketing works. That might sound a bit dumb,
but think about it. Successful email campaigns _do_ sell product, whether
or not the overall business model is flawed is another discussion.

I think Nielsen's take on the death of discussion lists is at least
premature. The functionality will certainly evolve, but they remind me too
much of a virtual boozer, where folks collect to chinwag (pun most
definitely intended), they go back because it's their local and they have a
sense of community...even if they hardly say anything.

I think I'm ranting...as you can probably guess, I could go on about this
for a while! If anyone has had great experience of intelligent agents, I'd
love to know about it?

Toodle Pip

Sam

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036