Subject: UKNM: Search Engines & Traffic
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:32:05 +0100

Bruce

I think that your question is almost impossible to answer - but if you are
talking about sustained traffic at that level, then you will have to have
what Sam indicates and, even with good advertising and promotional work, an
unique value proposition with a wide appeal (increasingly rare). If it's
just a general portal, you'll really have to roll out the fat wads of
advertising cash and even then I wouldn't advise this route as it seems that
the ROI on promotion of websites is dropping like a stone and, without real
credibility, you may as well save the cash, set yourself an achievable limit
that you can get through good marketing practise and succeed through organic
growth rather than the unproven (and sometimes devastatingly sacrificial)
marketing splurge 'we have to be everywhere' approach.

If the site that you are going to promote cannot sustain the interest of the
audience, then don't go chasing telephone numbers in the first place!

Cheers

JB