Subject: UKNM: FW: pretty poor if you ask me (KMM342302C0KM)
From: David Bentley
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 01:19:21 +0100

Thought this might be interesting. Here is an email I sent and its response
from customer services.

I Had a bad experience trying to book a flight to NYC through Last Minute -
I couldn't book online and I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone over
Saturday and Sunday last w/end - so even though I knew the flights were
available (at a fine price I might add) I couldn;t get one and by the time
Monday came they had all sold out. My plans crashed and I have had to delay
my trip till peak season ended.

I am a fan of Last Minute and admire what they have done, so I certainly
don't want this mail to turn into another slanging match which has to
attract a response from Brent... However it does prove a point.

If you are gonna do business online you need to (1) invest in the
infrastructure that allows customers to buy what is being sold. (2) There
must be an effective second method of contact - usually a phone helpdesk.
(3) If something goes wrong and a customer complains then these issues need
to be effectively delt with to make the customer feel satisfied (rather than
placated!).

Sounds basic doesn't it. Well it is - and even though it is a tough job to
get right it has to be done if any business is to be taken seriously. This
is particularly true online. IMHO events like this effect the industry as a
whole because a consumer has the power to turn off completely.

I think the idea of distressed inventory being sold online is a great one
and will be a smash hit, but if that potential is not realised due to poor
customer service and mechanisms - well then they only have themselves to
blame.