Subject: Re: UKNM: Recession will hit in 1999
From: Tim Hayward
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:20:40 GMT

That's an interesting approach. Experience points to a standard response
of companies in recession... shed staff.

Most of them put on some kind of short-term blinkers and run to the
balance sheets.

'Hmmm. Marketing. Sounds great in principle but they can't prove it.
Besides which they're all arrogant and dress funny'.

'...and what the Hell is this 'New Media Dept'? They're costing us a
quarter of a million in salaries alone and we're trying to justify it as
an investment in our future. Fuck that. Run out the P45s'.

You can share my cardboard box on the Strand, Ray.

Ray Taylor wrote:

> I have already been told by a client that (media and marketing) costs will
> be kept under tight control in 1999 owing to recessionary pressures. This
> might worry some people but I think it could also be a big break for many in
> this biz.
>
> If Internet solutions cannot be used to provide more cost-effective service
> to client what can?
>
> There are going to be lots of new online merchant ventures, new online
> retail brands, etc., that come into the market without any baggage. If done
> properly some of these ventures will be in a strong position to displace
> their established rivals.
>
> It should also present a good opportunity for online media owners to reduce
> their CPM rates for banner advertising - which will of course increase the
> uptake in the UK.
>
> Roll on the recession?
>
> Ray Taylor
> NMC/Adplan
> 0181 639 0015
> tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com

Tim Hayward
Digital Media Strategist
HHCL + P Kent House,
14-17 Market Place, Great Titchfield Street,
London, W1N 7AJ
+44-171-915-7579