Subject: UKNM: Ranty philosophy
From: Ashley Pomeroy
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:02:19 GMT

television]<<<<

Television and The Internet are made of three things - a medium, a
technology, and a distribution model. The Desktop Interent is a terrible
medium and a slap-dash, jerry-rigged technology, but a fantastic
distribution model.

(By 'The Desktop Internet', incidentally, I mean the pc-based, desktop
internet. Interactive TV is also the internet, but in ten years people
will call it 'TV'. 'The Internet', as a term, will die out.)

Television, on the other hand, does the first two very well, but is
one-way. For now. As digital television takes off that will change. It
will take less for Television to corner all three bases than it will take
The Desktop Internet, and for this reason the internet is and will remain
the fringe. We may well be witnessing the peak of The Desktop Internet,
right here and now.

Damn, I should turn this into a book. It would be the above three
paragraphs padded out with 17,887 words of waffle, and it would sell 239
copies and make me 58.98 pence.

Anyway, I'd much rather be writing and directing television ads than
banner ads, as television is a proper medium which people take
seriously. Want to make friends? Tell them that you're a television
producer. Don't say that you design 120x60 banners for Lycos, because
they'll laugh. That's the way it is.

Television is fantastic. I can sit back, turn the set on, and I feel happy
to watch the lights and listen to the sounds wash over me. I don't have to
think or feel, I can just allow the aerial to fill my brain with other
people's thoughts. People should have two television sets at all times, in
case one breaks.

-
"In the land of the blind, the blindest man is king"
Ashley Pomeroy - arpatslab [dot] org - http://www.ashleypomeroy.com/