Subject: Re: UKNM: WAP Numbers
From: Tom Hume
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:17:38 GMT

At 17:03 11/12/2000 +0000, UKNM Digest wrote:
>WAP Usability Report was released at the World Tour event in London
>November 30. Conclusions:
> - 70% of the users answered no when asked whether they would like
> to have
>a WAP phone within one year;
> - even the simplest tasks take much too much time to provide any
>satisfaction to users;
> - even after spending a week using a WAP phone, user performance
> remained
>appallingly low;
> - WAP content was frequently designed for the Web and not for the
>requirements of the mobile medium, further reducing usability: repurposing
>didn't work when putting brochureware on the Web in 1994 and it doesn't
>work when fielding mobile services in 2000

The fact that 95% of WAP applications out there are dreadful doesn't imply
the medium is unworkable.

When the web was in its youth, exactly the same criticisms were levelled at
it - "no one wants it", "it takes too long", "it's slow", "it's limited".
Nielsen draws this parallel himself, in the sub-title of his report ("D�j�
Vu: 1994 All Over Again").

Compare the takeup of the WAP to that of the web, and it's really not too
shabby; according to Euromonitor there were just 385,000 UK net subscribers
in 1994 (within a year of the release of Mosaic - and many of them would
have been email/ftp users). Forrester put the number of active UK WAP
subscribers at 450,000 (which is at least in the same ballpark as figures
from the telcos: 75k for Vodafone and 400k for Cellnet, I don't have
figures for Orange), and we're just over a year from WAP's commercial
launch in the UK. So the growth rates of the web and WAP in the UK are
currently not too far apart - the comparison is a good one.

I'm personally quite surprised that people working in new media aren't more
upbeat in general about WAP, considering a fair few of them must have had
similar experiences with the web 3-5 years ago.