Subject: UKNM: Advertising might actually not be dead
From: Paul Cook
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:24:32 GMT

Its interesting to see the issue of banner removing browsers rear its head
again but I don't think its time to change career just yet.

It's still far easier to only deliver content to people who have downloaded
an ad than it is for someone to get their browser to remove the ads from
the page.

Also I wonder how many people object to the ads enough to actually bother
to remove them. File sizes are pretty small compared to a lot of web site
images, so perhaps these users should just switch off images all together

This debate always goes side by side with the cookie/privacy issue. I did a
lot of research into this recently and was ammused to find more than a
third of people have never heard of them (about 70% accept them!).

When someone says to you I use the Web but I hate all the adverts then its
time to start worrying.... but commercial radio seems to survive