Subject: Re: UKNM: Advertising might actually be dead
From: Mat Morrison
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:26:20 GMT

>[...]from what I remember, the reasons advertisers wanted standards was
>because they were having to create different sized banners for
different
>sites. I don't see why sites which accept advertising can't be more
>flexible. Is there a reason why all the ads they display need to be a
given
>size?

Let's say we accept this reasoning. How do we value banners? Is a larger
banner more valuable than a smaller? 468x60 pretty much approximates to
10% of screen estate of the old 640x480 screens. Should we see this as a
benchmark against which to arrange the CPM?

Standardisation allows media-owners/audience centres to price and sell
comparable media.

Campaigns like, say the Levi's I-Candy boxes do move away from the
traditional model -- but do they move so far as to be effectively
sponsorship? Can we really buy the same sort of targeting, frequency
capping, audience tracking and adjustment with this sort of campaign as
we can with a "standard" banner?

Paradoxically, I believe, standardisation allows us much more
flexibility in the way we plan and buy our campaigns than your
free-and-easy approach.

Mat