Subject: RE: UKNM: the absurd economics of the net
From: Patrick Irwin
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:03:06 GMT

agree with Ray Taylor and the scribe at T&N Advtg.

How much money is wasted on TV year on year, in press, in DM, on Outdoor
simply as a result of poor creative execution. What results is the medium
(apart from perhaps TV) is damned for a considerable period of time, or
until a new creative and media team come along who really understand the
client brief and execute the spend accordingly.

Banners don't suck, interesting thought though that is, but they are right
for some brands who want to experiment with adding an online element to
their media mix. Remember there has to be a proposition to the target that
is in some way identifying with a perceived or actual need they possess to
get a response if that is the objective, and furthermore integrate the
message with all other communications. Remember, in exceedingly simple
terms, marketers don't give a toss where you saw or heard the message just
so long as you take it in. Most major brand recall will be attributed to TV
anyway.

Integrating or associating brands within content rich destination sites such
as, dare I say those recently launched by ourselves, (unashamed
self-promotion is acknowledged.....) should be the route that other brands
take if all they want to offer their target is an online brand experience.
Implicit in this should be an understanding that not all brands need to
build a web site. To take an obvious analogy, it is the reason that so many
brands get involved in sponsorship. They wish to gain by an integral
association with a particular interest that their target has. We're not
overtly telling you our brand is XY or Z but we want to be an integral,
unavoidable part of your interest area and we'll develop a relationship with
you based upon a shared and emotive interest.

I don't apologise in stating things in quite simple terms but none of us
will push this medium forward, and hence make a bit of cash along the way if
we regard ourselves as some sacred medium with a divine right to budgets.
Let us drop the hype and put together realistic propositions which add real
and lasting value to clients' mix and which help build brands. We have an
immense opportunity carpe diem.

Patrick Irwin
Carlton Online
Views expressed are mine and mine alone and probably result from a bad
experience in a former life...
T: 0171 663 3667
F: 0171 663 3664
E: <pirwinatcarltononline [dot] com> pirwinatcarltononline [dot] com
<http://www.simplyfood.co.uk> www.simplyfood.co.uk
<http://www.jamba.co.uk> www.jamba.co.uk
<http://www.popcorn.co.uk> www.popcorn.co.uk