Subject: Re: UKNM: Virgin on the Ridiculous
From: Daniel Bambach
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:29:01 GMT

>What kills me is that there are some dedicated Internet players in the UK
>market that have 'taken on the Americans' for some time and quite
>effectively, this without the deep pockets of the Americans nor the
>generosity of investors. What really pisses me off is that Virgin, who
>have been on the fringes with average services, suddenly gain a John Wayne
>swagger and claim to be the flag wavers.

For one I dont think Branson is really being a flag waver. Hes just doing
the logical thing for the development of his businesses. Just because you
might think you've 'been around' battling courageously to stake a place
alongside the Americans in net history doesnt mean that Dicky-boy cant come
and embrace all the ideas that have been produced and hammered out by
lesser mortals over the last few years.

I was in a company of 5, producing sites that the only 'competitor' in the
industry at the time could only produce with rooms full of cheap student
HTML labour.. they had no idea how to build a good website, and we were
making it up as we went along. What they had was media connections that
gave them a profile and thats what made them a success (though funnily
enough theyve gone the way of the dodo, and we havent.).

What Im getting at (eventually) is that thew industry seems to be changing
faster than you are, theres no room for an attitude like the above.

If Branson wants to spend fifty milion, then you should make sure he spends
some of it with you, and If you can do great things with no money.. can you
do greater things with a potfull?