Subject: Re: UKNM: Testing HTML Banners
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:24:47 GMT

Problem: If you access the internet from a voice or mobile connection then it's a pain to be sent html banners attached to email for reasons which I would have thought were obvious.

Solution: two versions of the service, choose either plain text or html. Let the user decide!

If you are looking for an advertising opportunity, then - much as I value UKNM - I couldn't really see any reason for placing an ad here, since all you have to do is post the odd comment with a sig file at the bottom and you have done the job for free.

The problem with the sponsorship message at the foot of emails is that after you have seen it once or twice you become blind to it. What I would like to see at the foot of UKNM messages is a rotating hot news story from the biz and I think I have suggested this to Sam at some point in the past on behalf of a client (please don't mention the name, Sam), but nothing came of it.

The advantage of using the space as a sponsorship by offering news snippets is that you create an advertisement that people _want_ to look at. That way UKNM users benefit, Chinwag benefits (from the ad fee), and the advertiser benefits from a potentially very high response rate. If the news bits are interesting enough, people will click on them.

And it would work just as well in text.

Ray Taylor
This email is sponsored by eyeconomy jobs www.eyeconcomy.com/jobs.htm - we're going places. Fancy coming?
+44 20 8249 6313