Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] RE: fall of the dotcoms?
From: Gary Pharo
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:57:44 -0000

I've seen too many biased programmes already, just wanted some balance

> 2. Is anyone so self-deluding as to believe that this really is
> 'business as usual', that it's just sorting out the sheep from the
> goats, that it'll all be over by Christmas,

Yep, totally believe that its a wheat from chaff time, but don't expect it
to ever end, as with any business sector there will always be new companies,
some with good ideas and strong business strategy e.g. easyJet or Orange,
and some with bad e.g. Delorean, Rabbit - taking examples from the 3 of the
industries that probably had the greatest impact on our lives over the last
century.

> that any other business
> sector has ever experienced such a punishing crash, so much real
> personal misery?

Well, not meaning to piss on your fire, but did you ever hear about
industries such as coal, steel, shipbuilding, car manufacturing.........well
any manufacturing for that matter. ANY loss of job is personally devastating
for the individual, regardless of the industry and I would certainly say
that all of the above had a far worse impact on local communities.

> 3. Are you seriously telling me that you don't recognise *any* of the
> characters in Kevin's email - the opportunists, the shysters, the
> naifs, the incompetents -

Well, having working in catering, manufacturing, FMCG and Office Equipment,
to name a few of my choice career options prior to moving to this *crazy*
Internet business - I've seen them in all the above and they no doubt exist
in every business sector

>or that you have never been shafted,
> misled, over-ambitious, over-worked, under-paid or frightened to
> death at any point in your new media career?

I think this is just a mixture of human nature.

> 4. Has everyone totally lost their sense of humour? Is this really
> just another dull-as-ditchwater industry not even worthy of a
> sensational TV programme? Come on, guys! This business used to be fun
> and spontaneous and no-bullshit. When did we all become our dads and
> start suggesting trips to Companies House?

Oh god, I'm turning into my dad, next thing you know, I'll have paid off my
mortgage and be debt free!!

I think it's the overall tone that people object to, a sense of balance
would no doubt be very welcomed......and on that note, I'm sending Ray �1
and taking a 50% equity stake in the Net Fighting Fund - there's an IPO in
that idea if I ever saw one ;o)

Cheers
Gary