Subject: RE: fall of the dotcoms?
From: Kim Thesiger
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:45:32 -0000

Do you remember the trouble Martin Lewis got into when he started talking
about wanting 'good news' items on BBC News programmes? The BBC has never
taken him seriously again and has him presenting game shows.

Whether or not it's ever possible to present 'good news' stories in a way
that retains the interest of today's tabloid TV audience is questionable
(the only one's I can think of are 'human interest' stories where a child
with a horrible affliction finally wins through).

Certainly broadcasters are generally only interested in stories about wrong
doing, failure, etc. etc. and these kind of stories ARE generally more
interesting to watch. Would you rather watch 'Blood on the Tracks' about
infighting at Radio 1 or a programme about how everyone loved each other at
Radio 1 and it went from strength to strength?

So... I agree with everybody who is pissed off at this industry being
portrayed negatively. It is very damaging.

However, don't shoot Kevin who is probably just a junior researcher given
the task of finding failing dotcoms by his boss. Don't even shoot his boss.
The only programme idea that any broadcaster is currently going to buy about
the Internet is exactly the one that Kevin's company managed to sell and
they are just trying to make a buck like the rest of us.

At the end of the day, the only realistic response to this situation is to
refuse to take part in the programme, wait for the dotcom backlash in the
Media to die down and let success speak for itself (but only on Blomberg TV,
CNBC and the Money Programme).

Kim.