Subject: RE: UKNM: AOL did well - what value internet stock?
From: Rod Begbie
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:34:35 GMT

Time Warner/Turner already use their content in a much better fashion than
almost any of the other BigOldEvilMediaEmpires. (the only other one I
admire is the BBC for their News site)

Entertaindom.com (launched a couple of months ago) features a mix of:

* New features unique to Entertaindom (eg. The God And Devil Show)
* Links to existing web content (the Atomfilms stuff)
* Content from Time Warner's print publications (Entertainment Weekly news)
* Media from the Time Warner archive (old Looney Tunes cartoons. Hurrah!)

The risk from the AOL part of the deal is that lots of this new content is
suddenly going to evaporate into the proprietory AOL interface. "See a
preview of the content on the web, but AOL KEYWORD: LOONEYTUNES to see the
full version". Bob Cringely covered this in a recent Pulpit when discussing
the AOL pop-ups on Netscape.com. Netscape is now little more than a
homepage on a million browsers which advertises AOL's proprietory system.

Expect by the end of the year to see people paying 99 cents to download
tracks from the Warner Records section of AOL, over their Road Runner
broadband cable connection, which they will play in their free copy of
WinAmp, which has a Wile E Coyote skin.

Perhaps.

rOD.

--