Subject: RE: UKNM: Marketing Quality Domains
From: Lee Bryant
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:04:43 GMT

To answer your question with a silly analogy....

Imagine if we built a new country (the Web) and land was �100 per sq m, but
a handful of people in the know (domain name warehousers) bought it all up
and then tried to re-sell it at �200,000 per sq m; this would mean that most
of us would end up as poor tenant farmers who don't own their land (and with
URLs like www.ispname.com/farmers/~serf.,htm ) and only the richest
corporations would have the resources to live at www.business.com or
www.company.com.

Is this really the bright new empowering world of the net, or is it simply
the worst aspects of capitalism replicated online?

As it happens I'm not a fan of real estate speculators either, but at least
there is an established market and price structure, whereas with first
generation domain names they were effectively free to start with and now
(because of speculation) can cost up to several million a piece.

Don't get me wrong, I'm engaged in capitalist activity myself, and I don't
believe it is wrong per se. I just think that the net gives us an
opportunity to do it better than before and we should take it. I'm all for
first mover advantage, but late adopters should be given a chance too,
especially because half the world did not have the advantage of the US
military industrial complex as R&D and therefore are only just starting to
get online.

Thanks for the debate anyhow.

Lee