Subject: Fw: UKNM: Another Argos?
From: Sharon
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:05:04 GMT

Thanks for your reply John

The email reply was as follows:

Subject: Your Order Receipt from unbeatable

Thank you for shopping with Unbeatable, a copy of your order is
attached.

The majority of our deliveries are made within a matter of days but
please
allow up to 14 working days.

Thank you again for your order.

This was accompanied by a text attachment detailing the order placed (ie
billing/delivery addresses and items ordered, and cost)

Does this clarify?

Sharon
www.e-command.co.uk

> JXEatolswang [dot] com on 09/01/2001 11:58:00
> To: uknm
> cc:
> bcc:
> Subject: RE: UKNM: Another Argos?

> Two separate sorts of law, two different answers:
>
> Under public law on misleading price information, Trading Standards can
> prosecute the site which is liable to a fine.
>
> Under private law "is there a contract?", the real answer is "depends on
> what the email said". In the Argos case, the response to the order was an
> acknowledgement screen saying "thank you for your order which is being
> processed. All orders are subject to availability" (although web proof
> reading/spell checking being what it is, it actually said "all orders are
> subject to availbility"). It did not say "your order is accepted", so
there
> was a good argument that no contract was formed until a later definitive
> email with order number was sent (which it never was on the �3 TVs). To
my
> knowledge, one large City law firm (whose employee had been one of the
first
> to spot the mistake and ordered 1000) sent a letter before action to
Argos,